Thursday 29 October 2009

Tools of the trade? Part One

That title sounds a little pretentious but this is what I use the majority of the time that I'm writing fiction. Of course I own a word processor but I started writing in these little red books I picked up from WHSmiths and I rather like them It seems to keep what I write in them separate from anything I do for University or suchlike. It also frees me from wanting to hit the 'wordcount' button every six minutes and this in turn allows me to concentrate on the meaning of the words and not the number of them.


But I do, therefore, have to deal with my incredibly scruffy handwriting, hence the pen. It's a glass dip pen that works like a quill. It means that I have to write slowly or it really is eligible. Also I get a little extra thinking room when dipping the pen and waiting for the pages to dry before I can turn them! My mother bought me the pen in Lewes at the end of my first year of university (I'm a philosophy student at Birkbeck, London).

The yellow writing paper is also different from the white stuff I use for my lecture notes. I'm very unorganised and this helps differentiate between them at a glance!

Keep smiling,
Sx

2 comments:

MortimerBones said...

I am delighted to see another glass tip writer, although I do prefer my quill. My glass tip is quite stonky... is yours? I have been looking all over for a more sensible nib than the amazingly large one I have...

Eve said...

Hi S
I've found your blog via your mum, I look forward to keeping up with your words and thoughts.
Julie