Sunday 22 November 2009

NaNoWriMo Extract

I said I'd put a bit up and I never did, this is a small extract from Chapter One.

"‘Shit I’m sorry Lil’ he lied convincingly ‘I don’t know why I did that’

She bent down to collect her books before she answered.

‘I do’ she send venomously, ‘it’s because you’re a disgusting fucking prick who couldn’t care about anything except yourself. I’m not going to fucking shag you, not today, not tomorrow, not fucking ever’

Elliot started forwards

‘Oh come on Lil, it was an accident’

‘Don’t you fucking dare come near me’ she snarled ‘I’m not one of your disgusting slutty harem, I will not be fucked and I will not be fucked with. By you or anybody else.’

People were starting to appear at the entrance of the corridor as Lily’s voice grew in volume and in pitch. Elliot wished that he had shut her up quietly before.

‘Chill Lil’ he tried to sound nonchalant in front of the growing crowd. Lily glanced up at them, then back at Elliot as she realised he was trying to maintain some sense of dignity in front of his friends.

‘Piss off’ she spat, then she turned and walked away, the crowd parted to let her through and the instance she was it swarmed into the corridor and Elliot was swallowed up by a mass of people. At the forefront was Mike Flanders, he was the centre mid field of the college football team and he’s always been the one that Elliot had taken to parties. Mike liked a good party, they suited each other well Mike and Elliot, two perfectly coupled wingmen. There had been jokes floating around about a bromance between them, they indulged this after they realised that girls seemed to like the idea. Suffice to say, Mike was the other cool kid on campus.

‘What was that about?’ he asked Elliot cautiously. Elliot rolled hi lower lip into his mouth and bit down with his upper teeth.

‘Lets walk’ he said, and they set off. Nobody else in the crowd even tried to follow them as they walked away from them. It was obvious to all watching that something very serious was happening between them It wasn’t, Elliot was trying to make light of it all. ‘I’m trying to sleep with her.’

‘Trying?’ Mike reply was sarcastic and amused, ‘good job there mate, she hates you.’

‘I know she does’ came Elliot’s lucid reply, ‘but that doesn’t mean that she won’t’

‘You know El’ said Mike, ‘it normally does.’ Elliot didn’t say anything, he didn’t even look at Mike. ‘Anyway man, why would you want to? Yeah she’s pretty fucking hot but she’s not going to be up for anything is she? She’s a total stuck up bitch!’

‘Yeah’ Elliot agreed, ‘but that’s sort of part of the attraction isn’t it? You know, the whole forbidden fruit thing’

‘El,’ Mike said, ‘there is no point in chasing after the forbidden fruit if you know it’s just an apple, there are hundreds of apples out there, most of them are much nicer than…’

‘Mike,’ Elliot interrupted him, ‘I think you might be stretching this metaphor past breaking point.

Mike laughed and Elliot joined in with his cold smile. They turned the corner and stepped outside together then leaned back against the wall just inside of the No smoking zone. They both found their cigarettes and lit them before either said anything else.

‘You’ll never do it mate.’

‘No?’ was Elliot’s quizzical reply.

‘No’

‘You’re sure’

‘Yes,’ Mike was smiling back at him, ‘I think I know what’s coming next’

‘Want to bet on it?’ Mike’s grin widened

‘I was right. Why don’t you give me twenty quid now? Elliot’s smile broadened to match Mike’s. He took a drag from his cigarette and blew the smoke directly into Mike’s face."


I'm writing more, well, er, now actually.

Keep smiling.

Sx

No comments: