Wednesday 14 November 2007

English Essay

I got tired and bored whilst writing an essay for english... it reminds me of the time I redid my GCSE science coursework, called it the ultimate enzyme experiment and outlined how I was going to teach enzymes to jump through flaming hoops in order to get food.

I even put the bit it about how they couldn't eat as they'd got denatured in the flames... Anyway... here's the last paragraph:

"Angelo is the character whom, without which, there would not be a play. If the Duke had appointed a mild mannered janitor (Hong-Kong Phooey) or indeed Escalus (not a super-hero masquerading as a dog in a police station) then it is reasonable to imagine that the play would have been a lot more straight forward, though I’m not entirely sure if it could possibly get any more boring. Anyway as I was saying (or writing, I guess, this is an essay after all) it is impossible to speculate what may have happened (if-history) as it would have been an entirely different play. Angelo therefore has to make a large impact on the audience and I feel that he achieves this, certainly by his second meeting with Isabelle in which he horrifies the audience by his hypocritical standards. I do not believe that Shakespeare (or “Shagstaff”, as he once, allegedly, spelt his name) was trying to make a statement about the corruption that comes with power. Nor that he was trying to get pity for him. I prefer to believe that Shakespeare was creating a character who could be simply used as a dramatic device to provide both comedy and tragedy by forcing the other characters into compromising positions1."

Toodles,
Sx



1.no, not like that.

No comments: